Sunday, June 14, 2020

Love never fails

The English word love has a multitude of meanings, yet is used loosely in discussions about relationships and attitudes, with comments about loving each other being the solution to our civic problems. 

I am reminded of Woodstock, and the anti war protests of the sixties.  Peace and love was the theme.  But what happened at Woodstock did little to establish any meaning for the words peace and love.  One of the songs of the time was "Where have all the flowers gone?" by Peter, Paul, and Mary.  I have borrowed a phrase from that song, "When will we ever learn?" and used it for questioning civic theories.  

I did not join in the protests, but neither did I enlist in the armed forces.  I had enrolled in Air Force  ROTC at Auburn.  I did some marching and shoe polishing, and studies about war.  But I was not drafted and did not volunteer.  President J. F. Kennedy made college enrollment a basis for not being drafted, and by the time that ended, marriage was a draft deferment, and I was married. So I never served in the armed forces.  But I do appreciate those who served, and am honored to be married to the daughter of Neill Ray, who gave his life in battle in Italy during World War II.  And Colonel David Hackworth is an honored relative I share with cousin Joe Hogan. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hackworth

So far as I know, rioting and looting to protest actions by civil authority does not show love.  Also using particular phrases such as Black Lives Matter does not show love.  We show love by actually helping the people we love.  If we love all people, then we look for ways to actually help them.  

How many times have you heard the phrase, "It is better to teach a man to fish, than to give him a few fish." Personal freedom, individual responsibility, and opportunity are useful for helping people have rewarding lives.  

Too many are looking for an easy life, without concern for what they are contributing to the collective. Jesus said it is more blessed to give than to receive. 

President Kennedy said, "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country."

https://www.ushistory.org/documents/ask-not.htm

People living in the public housing ghettos of our cities have many problems, including unemployment and dis-functional family structures.  The Great Society efforts to provide economic support to children in poor families made a huge mistake.  Paying unwed mothers child support had the consequence of encouraging families without husbands.  Fathers are important.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_family_structure

Love requires us to find a way forward that actually identifies and helps overcome the problems.  Government cannot solve these problems.  People who honor God's commandments and who want to live useful lives must be helped to have opportunity to step up to meaningful lives.  Yes, Jesus teaches us to help each other as we have opportunity.  Real help means making resources available that can make a difference in peoples lives by their personal engagement in activities that are useful to society.  Love teaches a person to fish.   

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/78-challenge-of-agape-love-the


The Way of Love

1 COR 13 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned,[a] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;[b]6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

1 comment: